Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Get Back On Defense

Having played sports growing up and now enjoying the thrill of cheering for my children as they play, I have a tendency to illustrate life's lessons through sport analogies.  There was one that I repeated to myself on a regular basis after I started my business that I'd like to share and it's "Get Back On Defense!"

It is instinctive to want to celebrate after you put the ball in the air and score a 2-pt jumper; even more exciting with a 3-pointer or a drive to the goal through several defenders to a score.  I can only imagine how I would celebrate actually dunking on someone (on a 8 ft goal and not a trash can).  The thrill of the moment sends you in the air for a high five or as guys do it, bump chest.  But you must realize that the game is still being played... IT'S NOT OVER til the final buzzer.  If you stop to have a party every time you score a couple of points, you can lose focus and lose the game because while you celebrate, your opponent is scoring.

I'm saying this to say, as you progress towards your life's goals, you will undoubtedly hurdle an obstacle or two or three.  Acknowledge the victory, but KEEP MOOVIN4WARD!  Graduating from high school is a big, BIG deal.  But some enjoy it so much that they stop there, not realizing they are but half way, if that.  Others get excited about actually making it to college.  Maybe the goal was to be the first in the family to achieve that goal.  But many fail to stay the course and don't reach graduation because too much attention was on actually getting there and not on getting out. 

By all means enjoy your milestone successes, but don't allow those successes to take you out of the game.  There are many more 3-pointers, drives, and maybe even an unanticipated dunk in your future.  Until the buzzer sounds, stay in the game.  Don't lose focus!  Hustle back down the court!  Get back on defense!

-Sharon A. Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment